Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Narrow Gate

"Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."  Matthew 7:13-14

I always thought I was on the narrow road.  I was after all a Christian.  That's what Jesus is talking about here right?  The Christians are the ones on the narrow road, and everyone else is on the path to destruction.  I have Christian parents.  I grew up in a Christian home.  I went to a Christian church.  I went to Bible camp.  I worked at bible camp.  I prayed to God every time something went bad in my life.  Sometimes I listened to Christian music (if I was in the mood).  God crossed my mind every time I was doing something I knew I shouldn't be doing.  I put money in the offering when I happened to have some in my pockets as the plate went by.  I was on the narrow road.  I remember thinking, this is easy.  This road isn't narrow at all, it's actually quite wide and easy to travel.  There is plenty of room for me and all the things and all the people I need to have a safe, happy and comfortable life.  Throughout it all though, I knew deep down, something was missing.  There had to be more to it all than this.   

I carried the guilt of my sin and shortcomings so long they became a part of me.  I thought, this must be the burden of walking the narrow way.  I'm suffering for Jesus.  After all, I'm just a sinner saved by grace, right?  I kept telling myself this. I was lying to myself.  If you haven't figured it out yet, let me spell it out.  I was on the wrong road, and deep down inside I knew it.  All of us who were there, or are still there, know it.  

Here is what I believe the Creator of the universe thinks of us.  Those of us who are riding the fence of obedience and faithfulness: "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth."  Revelation 3:15-16 

I don't know about you, but that is not the impression I want to leave with my Lord and Savior.  There are many things we can debate in the Christian life, but sooner or later we all need to reckon with this question.  Which road am I on?  

As for me, I'm tired of being on the fence.  I am exhausted from trying to get this world to come though for me.  It won't.  You know it, and I know it...  We need something else.  Someone else.  That's pretty much what I'm about these days.  Take a good look at the road you are on.  Is there plenty of room?  Can you carry all of your fears, addictions and idols while still making good time?  Does it seem like "many" are on the road you are traveling?  If any of this is ringing true for you, I invite you to come along with me.  I'll post what I learn and see on my way, and God willing, maybe it will help you along your journey as well, if only to know someone else is traveling with you.  As I was thinking about this narrow road that leads to the narrow gate, these words of Paul came to mind:

"Not that I have already obtained all of this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers (*and Sisters), I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 3:12-14

See you on the road,

Chris

*added by me
   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Paul's words are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and inspiring! Job well done, Chris! Thanks for allowing me to join you on the road you are traveling on. I look forward to the journey!

    ReplyDelete